Secrets are like bullets. Ditto the dark, personal stuff. Folks say they’ll take’em off yer hands, share the burden, but really they just load ’em into their own weapons so they can use ’em against you later.
Title: Retribution Rails
Author: Erin Bowman
Series: Companion novel to Vengeance Road
Publication: November 7th 2017 by HMH Books for Young Readers
Summary from Goodreads:
When Reece Murphy is forcibly dragged into the Rose Riders gang because of a mysterious gold coin in his possession, he vows to find the man who gave him the piece and turn him over to the gang in exchange for freedom. Never does he expect a lead to come from an aspiring female journalist. But when Reece’s path crosses with Charlotte Vaughn after a botched train robbery and she mentions a promising rumor about a gunslinger from Prescott, it becomes apparent that she will be his ticket to freedom—or a noose. As the two manipulate each other for their own ends, past secrets are unearthed, reviving a decade-old quest for revenge that may be impossible to settle.
In this thrilling companion to Vengeance Road, dangerous alliances are formed, old friends meet new enemies, and the West is wilder than ever.
Thoughts and Feelings:
- BE AWARE: This is a companion novel, not a sequel. So, new characters, spoilers from the first book, etc. (Kate and Jesse make appearances)
- I love sassy heroines who back up their sass with actual brain. Cleverness for the win.
- Charlotte and Reese playing off each other is my new favorite thing.
- The story is super fast paced. It takes off and pulls you in for a wild ride.
- Plot is completely different from Vengeance Road, but it’s still packed with danger, intrigue, and romance.
- Honestly, just read this book. It starts with a train heist.