What might not be evil to you could be evil to someone else. Knowing this makes us powerful even without magic.
Title: Falling Kingdoms
Author: Morgan Rhodes
Series: Falling Kingdoms # 1
Publication: January 1st 2012 by Razorbill
Summary from Goodreads:
In the three kingdoms of Mytica, magic has long been forgotten. And while hard-won peace has reigned for centuries, a deadly unrest now simmers below the surface.
As the rulers of each kingdom grapple for power, the lives of their subjects are brutally transformed… and four key players, royals and rebels alike, find their fates forever intertwined. Cleo, Jonas, Lucia, and Magnus are caught in a dizzying world of treacherous betrayals, shocking murders, secret alliances, and even unforeseen love.
The only outcome that’s certain is that kingdoms will fall. Who will emerge triumphant when all they know has collapsed?
It’s the eve of war…. Choose your side.
Princess: Raised in pampered luxury, Cleo must now embark on a rough and treacherous journey into enemy territory in search of magic long thought extinct.
Rebel: Jonas, enraged at injustice, lashes out against the forces of oppression that have kept his country cruelly impoverished. To his shock, he finds himself the leader of a people’s revolution centuries in the making.
Sorceress: Lucia, adopted at birth into the royal family, discovers the truth about her past—and the supernatural legacy she is destined to wield.
Heir: Bred for aggression and trained to conquer, firstborn son Magnus begins to realize that the heart can be more lethal than the sword….
A List of Thoughts While Reading (Cause that’s all I’ve got right now):
- Duuun duun dundunduun… oh wait, this isn’t Game of Thrones? But it said! My bad…
- WHAT IS HAPPENING. TOO MANY PEOPLE. Argh.
- Oh wait, you, I like you. Yupp. No… come back.
- Different person speaking now, huh. WHO’S IN CHARGE
- I don’t know who to care about right now, but that was awful. Why must things always be horrible?
- Great: REVENGE PLOT.
- Wait a second, romance?
- WHAT THE HELL.
- I really want more of that one person, but I can’t remember his name because there are too many different characters.
- So far, Jonas and Cleo are by far the most interesting. I like Magnus, but he totally creeps me out too. (P.S I only like Jonas cause what Aron did was not okay. Jonas = revenge driven brute. Oh, I don’t like you, let me kidnap you for being a bystander!)
- Cleon – I ship it.
- Theon… no Nic… no Theon. Help!
- There are so many different threads being pulled on, but I wonder which one to follow. It’s like a fork on top of another fork, with another fork, and maybe a spork.
- DAMMIT! You had to kill that one? Really. There goes my enthusiasm.
- Okay, I can see where this is going. Maybe book two? Expand a bit? Delve some more? Yeah, that would be nice. And entertaining. I could use some umph.
- That was fast. I didn’t think cities fell that easily? Umm… The other armies weren’t that good guys. GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER.
- It’s over? Noo…….
Overall, Falling Kingdoms, while it has many faults, sets an interesting stage for the rest of the series. I’ve heard good things about the books to come, and for that reason I am willing to pursue the rest of the books. I liked some things, hated some others, and was left confused and wanting by even more – however, I’ll give book two a shot. Firsts in a series are rarely fireworks, anyways. Unless your Six of Crows or A Court of Thorns and Roses.. but shhh.